When my granddaughter saw a photo of just the pieced top, unquilted, said she would really like to have it for her birthday gift this year.
|No borders yet.|
|Blue "crackle" print for the back.|
I had originally intended to free motion quilt circles and meanders on each chevron...but I also wanted to be sure there was quilting near to each peak and valley of the chevron.
|Intentionally not quite "in the ditch" stitching along the edges of each chevron.|
I wanted to use a variegated blue thread and wanted it to show up.
|"Daisy Mae" did a wonderful job on K-A's quilt (on left)...but her speed controller has developed some hesitation.|
I need dependable control, so she needs a trip to the fix-it man!
I cut several 2.25 inch bias strips of the same cloth as the borders, sew the strips end to end until I have enough to go around the quilt. Fold the bias strip in half, length-wise and sew on the top side of the quilt, matching raw edges (do not trim the excess back & batting edges yet).
|When the bias binding is sewn all the way around, then the extra edges are trimmed off to look like this.|
Now the folded edge of the binding is folded to the back of the quilt and hand stitched with a ladder stitch.
|Hand closing the binding on the back...yes I need reading glasses to sew tiny stitches, and an extra light helps too!|
Yes, I am left-handed, so this photo might look odd; I sew from left to right.
|I made the label by tracing over text printed off my computer.|
|All washed and ready to gift wrap!|