Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Blue and White Chevron Quilt part 1

Remember these squares?... left over from the Red White and Blue quilt...
I set aside the red and the dots, and used the blue stripe and the blue floral.
This is going to be another Half Square Triangle - chevron quilt, but with smaller starting squares.
The 7.75 inch squares are cut into fourths.

Floral print marked on the back for HST seams, paired up with a stripe.
Stripes made it a little more complex...
I need "Right handed" and "Left handed blocks!
 Let me introduce "Molly Majestic"...my wonderful, direct drive, sewing machine. Probably made in the 1920's, a little fixing up...and now she runs like a charm!
To insure the proper number of each block. I stacked the stripe blocks alternating.
Glad I discovered chain piecing!
I leave the chain connected and sew the second seam of the HST, then cut it all apart.

Close up of "Molly"  stitching the first side.
Ready for the next step...
Clip the threads and cut on the pencil line.
Press the seams towards the darker cloth. (note - this lead to bumps later; so you must choose between shadows behind the white cloth in some places or bumps!)
This is why I need right and left handed blocks...
I want the stripes to behave like this!
All the half square triangle blocks have been sewn.

Close up of the different white prints I added to the mix.
Now to begin piecing it all together!

Sew pairs of Half Square Triangle blocks together then
sew pairs of pairs.

Eventually they are all connected like this...
then press your seams.
Here are 4 rows of blocks laid out in chevron pattern.
Several chevrons completed, next row lined up.

Flip the row along its long edge so right sides (face of fabric) are together.
I line up the row so I can see the chevron and make sure I sew the proper edges together!

Or you could line up pairs of rows...

...then sew the pairs of rows together.
Once you get started...it comes together fairly easily!
Quilting will have to wait for another day....
(edited to add...it has been quilted, see it  here. )

No comments:

Post a Comment