(I have made so many bags, one friend calls me "the Bag Lady"!)
|I had an old auto window shade; I was planning to fix it!|
|All the edges were raggedy!|
|I bought 2 packs of bias tape for the fix job, so I used them for this project instead.|
|Cut the top flaps off for a clean edge to work with.|
|Cut the side flaps off. (save for practice stitching!)|
|Cut 2 sections for side panels.|
|Cut the side panels to match the height of the bag and finish edges with bias tape.|
Panel on the left shows what will be the finished "inside".
Panel on the right shows the stitching.
|Bias tape all around the large piece.|
|Close up of bias sewn once, the rough edge is then trimmed away.|
Now that all the plastic, insulated pieces have a bias tape edge.... I stitched the bias tape together to form a box shape with a lid flap. Next time I'll just duct tape the box together!
So the size is this:
2 sections of the shade for the front, 1 section for the bottom, 2 more for the back, and 1 section for the lid flap.
The auto shade was already creased into these sections!
|The lid flap fits into its own pocket; so the outer bag holds the lid open for filling up!|
|The outer bag is not attached to the insulated box; so either one can be cleaned as needed.|
|Three yards of cotton web strap support the bag all the way under the bottom and up the other side.|
|Upholstery weight zipper tape and a "reverse head" make a sturdy closing.|
2 half-gallon cartons of milk
2 dozen cartons of eggs
1 cottage cheese carton
3 bags frozen veggies.... with room to spare!
Pizzas had to go into the plastic "cold" bag with the broken handles!